This red lentil dal is a vegetarian staple for my family. The ingredients are usually in the pantry waiting for a rainy day where the fridge is empty and other options are scarce. The preparation is simple and cooks relatively quickly making this meal a perfect last minutes nutritious weekday meal.
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic (to taste), minced
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 big handful of chopped cilantro or italian parsley (or a mix of both)
- salt to taste
- cauliflower roasted or steamed (optional)
- cooking oil (canola, safflower or your personal favorite)
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottom saucepan at medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the red lentils and the curry powder and mix with the onions and garlic.
- Add the water, stir gently and bring to a simmer.
- Lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and let cook for approximately 20 to 30 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add salt, fresh herbs and cauliflower.
The dal is delicious accompanied by rice and chutney.